Sensis rebrands to Thryv and brings business software to Australian SMBs

Australian directories business is rebranded six months after being acquired by US software vendor

Six months after being acquired by US software company, Thryv, Australia’s Sensis business has undergone a rebrand and launched a new local edition of the business management product range in the Australian market.

Sensis was acquired by Nasdaq-listed Thryv for $260 million in March. The deal came seven years after Telstra sold a 70 per cent stake in the Sensis business to US private equity firm, Platinum Equity, for $425 million, and saw the remaining 30 per cent stake still owned by Telstra also picked up by Thryv.

The rebrand comes 141 years into the Sensis business history and 19 years into the latest incarnation under the Sensis moniker. Parts of Sensis hark back to 1880, when the first Australian telephone exchange and directory was launched as the White Pages. In 1975, the Yellow Pages debuted. Both directories went online in 1994 in what was branded a world-first. The company rebranded from Pacific Access to Sensis in 2002.

Thryv Australia CEO, John Allan, said switching Sensis’ corporate identity to that of its parent company was a natural step and one that reflected an intention to grow the software division alongside the core marketing services business. As well as supporting more than 100,000 business and government customers through its Yellow and White Pages brands, the company is investing significant dollars into launching and scaling its Thryv SaaS platform.

Thryv’s business management offering can be used to manage appointments, build and manage customer lists, email and text customers, send reminders and notifications, deliver estimates and invoices, accept contactless payments and generate online ratings and reviews. The company also owns the Yellow Pages in the US.

“Since March, our teams in Australia and the US have been working around the clock to bring the Thryv software solution to market,” Allan said. Allan has been with Sensis since August 2012.

“What makes Thryv unique is not only its class-leading digital product, but its unwavering commitment to help businesses use digital software to improve service to their customers. It’s this ethos we want to reflect in our new brand, Thryv.” 

Thryv VP product and marketing, Ryan Cantor, said the products had been tailored for Australian businesses to integrate into platforms such as MYOB and Xero. 

“We are pleased to welcome Australian small businesses to the Thryv platform,” he said. “With Thryv, small businesses can centralise their day-to-day activities through one elegant, easy-to-use dashboard.  

“Thryv helps these businesses modernise their workflows, such as payments, Google My Business, appointment scheduling, communication, marketing and more, while ensuring they put their customers at the centre of their of everything they do.” 

Don’t miss out on the wealth of insight and content provided by CMO A/NZ and sign up to our weekly CMO Digest newsletters and information services here.  

You can also follow CMO on Twitter: @CMOAustralia, take part in the CMO conversation on LinkedIn: CMO ANZ, follow our regular updates via CMO Australia's Linkedin company page         



Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Show Comments

Latest Videos

More Videos

More Brand Posts

Blog Posts

Marketing prowess versus the enigma of the metaverse

Flash back to the classic film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Television-obsessed Mike insists on becoming the first person to be ‘sent by Wonkavision’, dematerialising on one end, pixel by pixel, and materialising in another space. His cinematic dreams are realised thanks to rash decisions as he is shrunken down to fit the digital universe, followed by a trip to the taffy puller to return to normal size.

Liz Miller

VP, Constellation Research

Why Excellent Leadership Begins with Vertical Growth

Why is it there is no shortage of leadership development materials, yet outstanding leadership is so rare? Despite having access to so many leadership principles, tools, systems and processes, why is it so hard to develop and improve as a leader?

Michael Bunting

Author, leadership expert

More than money talks in sports sponsorship

As a nation united by sport, brands are beginning to learn money alone won’t talk without aligned values and action. If recent events with major leagues and their players have shown us anything, it’s the next generation of athletes are standing by what they believe in – and they won’t let their values be superseded by money.

Simone Waugh

Managing Director, Publicis Queensland

Sign in