An in-depth understanding of consumers sits at the heart of what we all need to do, but we know it’s not always easy to uncover insights that will unlock a true innovation opportunity.
Mobile shopping is increasingly popular in Australia, yet many retailers still do not deliver great mobile shopping experiences, a new report claims.
The Forrester Report, Seven Ways For Australian Retailers to Improve The Customer’s Mobile Experience released last week, revealed while most Aussie retailers have built capable mobile web stores, few have made the deeper investment in mobile apps that use rich content and in-store service to deeply engage customers.
In evaluating 14 Australian retailers’ mobile sites against Forrester’s retail mCommerce functionality benchmark, the report found while most have created a competent, functional site, few have taken the experience further to improve on the overall mobile retail capability.
Through better search, improved shipping capabilities, more personalised offers, and integration with other mobile platforms, retailers will serve their customers more broadly and deeply — increasing customer satisfaction and driving return business, the report stated.
Topping the chart was Target Australia, which ranked highest in terms of both mobile and app functionality, and gained extra marks for providing customers with the opportunity to ‘shop the look’. Domino's app also proved a winner, with its GPS Driver Tracker capability, which enables Domino’s to work out exactly when a customer is due to arrive in store in real-time, and cook their order accordingly. Meanwhile the Good Guys and Officeworks came out strong with both retailers' mobile sites being able to direct customers easily to stores with available stock.
Bottom of the list were Bunnings, Kmart and KFC, which all showed room for improvement on providing a richer and more real-time customer experience.
Key tips to provide customers with a mCommerce experience:
- Use the power of search more effectively
- Look to partners and social networks to deliver customers to your site or app.
- Explore a pop-up “store mode” to drive digital into the retail store.
- Ensure the site/app is useful and error-free
- Make mobile browsing or 'content snacking' easy on the go
- Ensure navigation, functionality, conversion rates and checkout is speedy, seamless and requires as minimal keystrokes as possible
- Integrate mobile with the in-store experience
- Ensure the experience is personalised with the right offers, discounts and loyalty programs
- Offer a range of shipping and collection options