Picture this. You’re at a Gourmerican burger joint chomping a cheeseburger, when an outspoken vegan friend starts preaching that you’re killing the planet. Last week, that same vegan downed a pricey glass of pinot before their flight to a far-flung destination, armed with their strongest mossie repellant and first aid kit. Anything amiss?
The Marketing Academy has announced the 30 Australian marketing, media and agency executives that have been chosen for its inaugural Australia Leaders Programme.
The first batch of candidates, chosen from a pool of 200 nominations over the past three months, will now undertake a nine-month program aimed at developing their leadership skills.
Just over half of those selected are from well-known Australian and international brands from a diverse selection of industries, including Suncorp Group, Telstra, Foxtel, SBS, Unilever and Goodman Fielder, and hold a range of titles, stretching from marketing manager and category marketing management, through to digital, operational and social channels responsibility.
Announcing the successful candidates at a function in Sydney last night hosted by program sponsor, Commonwealth Bank, Marketing Academy founder and CEO, Sherilyn Shackell, said the calibre of applicants had proved extremely high.
“We were privileged to see many individuals who showed exceptional talent, determination and skill throughout the selection process,” she said. “It would a tough process for applicants and we commend everyone who took part.”
The finalists for the program were chosen via a 90-minute face-to-face interview with the Marketing Academy’s 22-strong selection panel, which features human resources processionals, marketers, and CEOs of AANA and ADMA.
Candidates will now participate in a 15-day learning program across nine months. The first event on this agenda is five-day boot camp from 23 February to cover topics such as technology, innovation, brand insights, behavioural economics and leadership.
- Amy Lee-Hopkins, Brand and Reputation Manager - Barnardo's
- Claire Whish-Wilson, brand manager - AAMI Insurance at Suncorp Group
- Justin Edward Taylor, category marketing manager - Mondelez International
- Nicole Bardsley, director of brand and communications -Virgin Mobile Australia
- Justin Robinson, director of marketing operations and media - Foxtel
- Vanessa Sanford, executive manager digital and social channels - Commonwealth Bank
- Sharon Lewis, executive producer - M&C Saatchi
- Lucy Plunkett, general manager - Play Communications
- Sean Hall, general manager employee experience - Telstra
- Hamish Strahorn, group business director - Starcom MediaVest Group (Aus)
- Ian Edwards, group business director - MEC Global
- Tim Kirby, head of account management - Naked Communications Sydney
- Adam Ross, head of co-creation - Mindshare
- Alex Light, head of content - Vice Australia
- David Halter, head of digital - Clemenger BBDO
- Jo McAlister, head of group marketing - SBS
- Jane Merrick, head of marketing communications - IAG
- Ernesto Soriano, head of marketing, Google Play - Google
- Kim Hamilton, head of performance - OMD Australia
- Duncan Parfitt, head of performance and Analytics - Match Media
- Pia Coyle, head of trading and amplification - Ikon Communications
- Paul Connell, homecare business team leader - Unilever ANZ
- Damon Robbins, manager, digital marketing - Tabcorp
- Victoria Cooper, marketing director - Goodman Fielder
- Heilan Bolton, marketing manager - 20th Century Fox
- Mim Orlando, marketing manager - Carlton & United Breweries
- Rachel Taylor, marketing manager - PepsiCo
- William Papesch, marketing manager - DBG Australia
- Michael McKeown, marketing manager - Carlton & United Breweries
- Nick Turner, senior marketing manager News Corp Australia
Follow CMO on Twitter: @CMOAustralia, take part in the CMO Australia conversation on LinkedIn: CMO Australia, join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CMOAustralia, or check us out on Google+: google.com/+CmoAu